| - Home -
- Who We Are -
- Celtic Myths -
- Ritual Basics -
- The Sabbats -
- The Esbats -
- Magick -
- Elements -
- Herb Lore -
- Crystal Lore -
- Meditation -
- Divination -
- Astrology -
- Reading Lists -
- Wicca 101 -
Known among some of us as "The Banishing Moon" in astronomical terminology, the Full Moon is a lunar phase that occurs when the Moon is on the opposite side of the Earth from the Sun. More precisely, a full moon occurs when the geocentric ecliptic longitudes of the Sun and Moon differ by 180 degrees; the Moon is then in opposition with the Sun. At this time, as seen by viewers on Earth, the hemisphere of the Moon that is facing the earth is almost fully illuminated by the Sun and appears round. The Full Moon is the end of the month in lunar calendars.
A popular favorite phase among magicians, the Full Moon is the Light of the Moon, and it is reserved for light works and dedications to benevolent lunar deities. It is used for celebrations and prayers for peace.
When planning your magical workings you need as much time for positive working as you do the negative. The Full Moon is a useful period for banishing something from your life, breaking off a relationship or starting a diet. Prime time for rituals for prophecy, protection, divination. Any working that needs extra power, such as help finding a new job or healings for serious conditions, can be done now.
For the purpose of personal use (By no means recognized by the masses) We are including the Celtic names of each Full Moons and are offering them for use.
- Quiet (January) - This is a time for introspection. Save your energy, stop worrying about others and concentrate on yourself.
- Ice (February) - The time of growth and looking ahead towards the future. An excellent time for setting goals.
- Wind (March) - Now is the time to be realistic when making life decisions.
- Growing (April) - It is time to look at your life and restore its' balance.
- Bright (May) - Now is the time for communication with other beings and recommiting yourself to the Gods and the Earth.
- Horse (June) - This is also the time for lovers. Before the height of summer use this time to strengthen your weaknesses.
- Claiming (July) - Relax and enjoy the warmth of the days and nights.
- Dispute (August) - This is the time for celebration with people who are close to you.
- Singing (September) - This is a time of organizing and preparing for the coming months.
- Harvest (October) - This is the time of seeking inner peace and truth.
- Dark (November) - This is the time for healing and communication.
- Cold (December) - It is the time of rebirth.
- Blue Moon - The Second Full Moon in a Month. Many will go out of their way to hold ritual on this night, as it is only a once a year event and known to be doubly powerful. This is the best time to consecrate magickal tools or initiate to a Coven.